I Have Value - You Have Value

I went to an all-staff meeting last week. The professional development was the importance of building relationships. It's my favorite part of my job, getting to meet students on their level and helping them succeed from that point on. It's one of the reasons I became a teacher. 

We were asked to create an "elevator introduction" for when we meet people. It should include our name, our position and what we want from the person we are talking to. The owner of the company said this, "My name is Jim Lee and I have the best job in the world." 

Hopefully, it causes the person to ask what his job is and from there, he can tell them about this amazing company he started to help people from different walks of life, all backgrounds and even a variety of countries to get their high school diploma. 

I love my job and one of the reasons is, that from the moment I started, I have felt valued at work.  After a wonderful PD and news about ways our company continues to grow and find ways to reach students, the owner came back up to deliver a message. He said this, 

"You're here because you were chosen to do this... 

It's where you're supposed to be. "

I literally got chills and the tears began to trickle down my face.

I may still feel like the new guy and my anxiety of large groups may never go away, but I left that meeting feeling valued by someone who most likely doesn't even know my name. 

At church today, I went to listen to a former athlete give her "farewell" talk before leaving on her mission. In the audience, I saw students and athletes and several "older" friends that have been a part of my life the last several years. I thought about all the conversations I've had with them during that time and I pray that they know how much I love and appreciate them. I want them to know they are important to me.

 Last spring especially, I was failing at life. I was stuck in a place in my head that I couldn't get out of. A few months prior to track season starting, I had spent many hours worrying about how I would make it to the end of the school year. I'm not afraid to admit that several times during that winter, I had looked into checking into a hospital for a few days to try and regroup and pull myself together. I spent hours in bed feeling like I understood why some people choose to end this life. I promise I never thought I would do it, but I understood why they may have felt that way. It was a deep and dark place to be. 

But...

Everyday I prayed to my Heavenly Father each day that I would feel like I mattered to someone so that everything I was going through would somehow end up having value. I linked my prayers to actions, although they felt very small to me. 

Everyday I got up and did my best to serve those around me. My service might have been as simple as giving a lesson in English class (whether I thought it was good or bad), listening to a student, recognizing when a student needed a hug more than an English lesson or a texting a friend to let them know I loved them. 

In turn, Heavenly Father answered my prayer and I knew I was loved when my friends checked on ME, when my mom would text me with funny memes or sweet reminders that I was doing a good job. I looked forward to being home with Ben at the end of each day when he would tell me it would all be fine. Or, when a new day showed up and I was able to get out of bed. 

If you were a part of my life the last several years, you mattered to me. Through those dark times, I felt Heavenly Father saying,

"You are here because you chose to do this.

You're here because you're supposed to be."

Maybe I had to go through some of this so you could know you aren't alone in your struggles. Maybe I had to go through this to tell you that your acts of service are important, no matter how small. Maybe I had to go through this so I would be reminded that I am loved. 

As I looked around the chapel today and saw so many of my young friends and "older" friends, I was reminded that each of us have value. You might not realize it, but I'm here to tell you that you do. 

I have value. You have value. And if you ever forget, just call or text me. I'll drop everything and remind you. Because you are that important to me. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas 2023

Saying Goodbye to my Little Boy

Merry Christmas 2022