Headache Update

I went to a neurologist a few weeks ago and he started me on a medicine called Gabapentin. Here's a link to information about it if you're interested. In a nutshell, it is a seizure medicine that also appears to work on pain, specifically migraines and diabetic conditions. The side effects of this medicine are unfortunate. I have constant mild nausea and an upset stomach right after taking the medicine. Sometimes I feel like my eyes are working but in slow motion and I don't know how to explain it except that it's kinda like vertigo but not as debilitating.

The worst symptom is the short term memory loss. I was talking to a friend at my front door the other day and she asked what happened to the tree that used to be in my neighbor's front yard. I explained about it being cut down and how maybe soon I would fix the (this is where I forgot the word) "water thing that spits out the top because the things that fell out of the tree won't clog it anymore". Any guesses what I was trying to explain? The fountain in my front yard. The needles that fell from the tree clogged our fountain so much we stopped using it many years ago. I even pointed at it and couldn't come up with the word. Oy. This side effect bothers me the most.  

It seems to be working as it has reduced the number of killer headaches per day. The ones that get in the pain range of 6-10. Hallelujah, I'm having less of them, we're down to about 2 per week. I was given another prescription called Ubrelva to control them. I went to the pharmacy to pick it up and the cash price for 10 pills was $1035. That's over $100 dollars per pill. Fortunately, my insurance picked up the tab for the first 10 pills. I don't know that it will happen again so I've used them sparingly. If I know I can sleep it off, I do that. If I can't, I take one. I have one of those pills left. 

While the excruciating painful episodes have been less often, the dull and mostly constant pain has increased. I truly don't know what is worse except that hopefully, we are moving in the right direction with treating the headaches. In working with my ENT doctor, we went ahead and scheduled a septoplasty surgery later this month. It is outpatient and I should be back to normal quickly. I  keep telling people I'm getting a nose job but I think I like my nose so I hope it doesn't change the shape of it too much, lol. 

While I'm glad there is hope that the combination of surgery and medication will treat my issues, my anxiety and depression symptoms continue to increase. When I feel a headache starting, my chest tightens often in the fear that a major headache is on its way. I clench my jaw and neck and I'm working on trying to stay relaxed as possible when it happens. If you want to give me a neck massage, I'm always ready. 

I appreciate all the kind words and prayers. I know this is minor compared to so much of the struggling going on around me. I am so grateful for friends and family who listen to me complain and take care of me. I am blessed. 

Comments

  1. Gabapentin tablets are a prescription medication that is used to treat nerve pain. It is in a class of medications called anticonvulsants. Gabapentin literally gave me a second life. I have been consuming this medication for 2 years.

    Gabapentin works by decreasing the number of seizures that occur. It is also used to relieve pain caused by shingles. Gabapentin comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken three times a day. Gabapentin can be taken with or without food. Take gabapentin at around the same time each day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas 2023

Saying Goodbye to my Little Boy

Merry Christmas 2022