New Year New Goals

I'm a goal setter, I have always been. I remember my first taste of setting goals was when I turned 12 and I entered the Young Women program at church. We had to set like two goals per month, some little and some bigger. It was really hard but I would sit with my parents or my leader and decide what I needed to work on for that month (or longer for bigger goals). I loved it! I would crank out goals like a mad woman!

Image from ebay

We had to do a certain number of goals and to earn the Young Women Medallion. I know I had mine a few years ago so it's probably somewhere in my stash of jewelry. I actually finished the program for the second time back in 2020. The program has changed even more since then but I'm so grateful for a lifetime of setting goals. 

One of the important parts of setting goals is to write them down, otherwise they are just dreams. Some goals like getting better at reading/studying my scriptures and saying my prayers are goals that I constantly need to work on. I've written them down and even though I set them every year, I need to continually work on them. 

I have three big goals this year which I've also broken down into manageable goals by the month/week and day. Here they are:

1 - My intellectual goal is to write 75,000 words this year. Most of this will be in the form of a book which I hope to have finished by September, when I pitch it at my writer's conference. This is 6250 words a month, 1442 words per week and 205 words per day. I'm focusing on a weekly goal because writing daily is often too much. When I do sit down, I'm usually able to pull out a week's worth in two days or so. I think this goal is manageable while working full time, coaching, and being a mother, wife and Grandma. 

2 - I'm working on my physical self this year too. I hope to walk/run 1000 miles. Having a strong physical body has been difficult with all my headaches. I've put on a ton of weight and I feel terrible most of the time. “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't kill their husbands, they just don't.” LEGALLY BLONDE. Not that it would ever even cross my mind, but this goal will help both of us I suppose. 

I want to feel good about myself again and exercise always does that for me. My friend equated going to the gym as taking an anti-depressant. I agree! I'm always happy after I make it to the gym. Also, Petey, my dog has gained weight right along with me so he and I will be walking partners as we shed those pounds. That comes to 83 miles per month, 19 miles per week and 3 miles per day. That's totally doable. We also cleaned up the treadmill for those mornings that are too cold and afternoons that are too hot. Going to the gym and lifting is a bonus.

3 - Self care has become increasingly important to me. My new job allows me the chance to set work aside at the end of the day (for the most part) and take care of myself and my family. I couldn't do that at my other job. I love reading more than Diet Pepsi and I'm so grateful for my Kindle that allows me to read in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. I may only read one chapter before my eyes get heavy, but it's perfect. I also love the smell of printed pages so I have a book downstairs I read from during the day. I would like to read 25 books this year. I think this goal is easily achieved. I set it somewhat low because in the last 5 years I think I've read 10 total books. I WAS EVEN IN A BOOK CLUB AND RARELY STARTED OR FINISHED THE BOOK!! This is just over two books per month. For January, I've already read three. I'll also be blogging about the books (see goal #1). 

I just love setting goals. Even if I don't get to my goal, I've still done more than had I not set the goal. I used to tell my students, It's better to shoot for the stars because even if you land on the moon, you've still LANDED ON THE MOON! and that's pretty great. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas 2023

Saying Goodbye to my Little Boy

Merry Christmas 2022