Feminism

There has been a lot of discussion lately in my life from different sources, about feminism.  While doing some research for my literature class earlier this semester, I had to do some reading on this type of literature critique.  Then, on a friend's Facebook, I saw a post about a more contemporary view on feminism.  It really got me thinking about my views on feminism.

I just have to say, thank heavens for the women who forged the way for me to live the kind of life I lead.  I'm college educated, I am employed (even if it is just a few hours a quarter), I can drive, vote, and do lots of things women in my stage of life could not do many years ago.  But, I am still "just" a housewife (don't get me started on that term), what I mean is, that I do most of the cleaning, cooking and taking care of the children, and I do it by choice.

I don't have a job that requires me to be outside of my home earning a living, I have found ways to make some money here and there as needed, but I choose to be the main caregiver for my family.  This was an active and personal choice I made long ago.  I had big plans for a career; I was going to travel the world, make tons of money and run my own business...I was going to speak a foreign language.

The reality is that I chose the greatest career, that of motherhood.  I haven't seen wonderful places like the Eiffel Tower, the Mayan ruins, or the great wall of China, but I've seen the wonder in my child's eyes as he touches snow for the first time, scores his first touchdown, or gets offered a scholarship to college.

I am blessed to have a husband who earns a living that supports our whole family without me having to work outside of the home.  We make enough money to cover our needs and most of our wants.  We don't live extravagantly, but we do all right.

I run the business of managing a home and the education (secular and spiritual) of everyone in that home, I am a chef, maid, tutor, nanny, seamstress, bus driver, and work a myriad of other careers...I speak sarcasm, teenage grunt and I am the baby whisperer.

I am not against mothers who work outside of their home or those that choose not to have a family of their own, but only because they just don't know what they are missing.  I am anti-abortion, because I believe every pregnancy is a gift from God.  I'm not convinced that a person should raise a child by him/herself because I know how hard it is to raise one with the great amount of help I get from my spouse.

I wouldn't change my curves and rolls because they were hard earned during my childbearing years.  I know mothers who have given and given to the point of neglecting their own self.  While I am anti short-shorts and tank tops and my girls wear more than enough swimsuit to cover all the important areas, I am not ashamed to tell someone about the fabulous new bra I just bought that puts my bosoms back where they belong.  I am flattered when my friends call my high heel shoes "cha cha" because it makes me feel sexy, when the reality is that I am super uncomfortable.

I might be a contradiction from a feminist point of view, but what I do know is that I'm proud to be me and I don't regret any choices that I have made that have brought me to this place.  So, what is my view on feminism?  I'm not sure exactly, but I like being a woman.

Comments

  1. Bravo! I feel the same way. Give me every right I deserve but don't think that I'm "just" a Mom, cuz you'd be wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas 2023

Saying Goodbye to my Little Boy

Merry Christmas 2022