Freezer Veggies

I am no genius, but I learned a long time ago that I hate that smell of onions that lingers on my hands for days after I cut up even just one.  Yes, I could wear gloves, but I don't.   We use a lot of onion around here, sometimes chopped, sometimes in strips, but whatever, we use a lot of it.  Since I mostly use it for cooking, I cut them all up at one time and stick them in the freezer.  
When I need a cup of chopped onions for a recipe I'm cooking with, I just bang the bag on the counter and dump out what I need.  The same goes for peppers.  I don't eat them raw...ever, but I love them cooked.  I cut them into strips and freeze them too.  I have several freezer bags full in my fridge and I probably go through a few gallons of onions and peppers every other month.  At least that is when I go get more and start chopping.  I do always leave one red onion and one yellow out so if I need them cut up for a salad, I have them.
When I find a great deal on something at the produce market, I like to stock up.  Lots of that stuff doesn't stay good for very long so I'm picky about how much I get and whether or not it will freeze well.  I grabbed some squash and zucchini out of the fridge that was not looking so good, so I'm taking a chance that when I cook them up, they will be just fine...another veggie I don't eat raw. 
I found this terrific post about crock pot freezer meals that I'm dying to try.  I think I do most of it already, but this is all combined into one bag you throw right into the crock pot. http://mamaandbabylove.blogspot.com/2011/04/freezer-cooking-with-slow-cooker.html
Do you have any favorite freezer tips or menu ideas you use in your home?  Share with me.  I love tips that save me time and money.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas 2023

Saying Goodbye to my Little Boy

Merry Christmas 2022