Grocery Shopping for a Large Family

Sometimes people don't grasp the reality of what grocery shopping means to a woman who shops for a family of ten. I might throw in there that of those ten family members, three of them are teenage boys. I do my bulk grocery shopping once a month and stock up on things that can be stored on the shelf, frozen, or purchased for cheaper when I buy in bulk. Things I purchase monthly include:
8lbs of ground beef
10lbs of assorted pork chops, ribs, and roasts
20lbs of chicken breasts and a few fryers
10 dozen eggs
4-6lbs of bacon or sausage
16lbs of cheddar cheese
8-10 packages of assorted lunch meats
25 packages of assorted frozen vegetables
200 diapers

Throughout the month, I make a bi-monthly trip to the produce market in town in order to stock up on fresh vegetables and fruit that my family eats a ton of. My neighbor works next to an Alpine bread store in town and  he brings me home day old bread that sells for $.50 -$1 per loaf for both families. I store my bread in my deep freezer. I have an extra fridge in the garage where I store our milk, cheese, and eggs for the month, but between the bread store, the produce market and my neighborhood grocery store, I usually purchase:
8 gallons of milk
15 loaves of bread
30 boxes of cold cereal
20 each of apples, oranges, plums, and/or peaches
25lbs onions, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, and assorted vegetables

Once a year, with my tax refund, we stock up on sundries like toilet paper, razors, shampoo, soap, medicines, etc. That is  a fun trip and we get a lot of funny looks and teasing from our friends, but I’m tough, I can take it. This is the funnest trip as it usually requires two flat carts at Costco and 2 grocery carts at WalMart:
250 rolls of toilet paper
48 bottles each of shampoo and conditioner
36 bottles of liquid shower soap
54 rolls of paper towels

I think you get the picture, and this is just the big stuff; anyone want to go shopping with me? It will make you look at your grocery bill in a whole other light. Don’t get me started on the cost of gas to fill up my 15 passenger van every week just to do my shopping trips...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas 2023

Saying Goodbye to my Little Boy

Merry Christmas 2022